After a long and grey winter season, the many colourful and eye-popping artistic delights that a quilt festival delivers couldn't be more welcome!
Mark your calendars for the Quilt & Fibre Arts Festival taking place May 21 - May 25, 2019 in the village of St. Jacobs and throughout Waterloo region. Quilters, crafters, and others of all ages can enjoy amazing exhibits and take part in a variety of activities that have made this event one of the year's most anticipated.
Whereas traditional quiltmaking offered an artistic outlet in the local community over past generations - with 'quilting bees' providing social connection - it was done primarily out of practical necessity. Today's event organizers work hard to showcase a fresh and ever-expanding repertoire of modern fibre arts too, underscoring how textiles continue to take their place among contemporary craft and design.
With that said, read on to take a look at what's ahead in St. Jacobs during the Festival, then click on the link to view the full Calendar of Events (2 pages) for details of events across the region including ticket and admission information.
1. Wearable Art Fashion Show. Don’t miss the “Wearable Art” fashion show on May 21 & 22 at Cellar52! Support local artists in both fashion and food. Enjoy a unique runway show, tasty vegan food made locally and the opportunity to purchase local fashions. All proceeds go to the MCC. Tickets $30 or a table of 8 for $200. Email email@example.com to secure your spot!(scroll to bottom of blog for poster and ticket information).
2. "A Sampling" at The St. Jacobs Shoolhouse featuring guest artist and Tea Room.
A perennial favourite, this show at the historic St. Jacobs Schoolhouse venue features hand-made quilts and needlework by guest artist Helen Martin, as well as quilts from her vintage collection. Admission includes tea & treats, with festive hats welcomed! Also featured at this exhibit:
display of the ‘Rising Star’ quilt designed by Don Doan, and pieced by members and friends of the St. Jacobs Quilt Shows board for the MCC Relief Sale Quilt Auction
3. "Quilts for the World" Exhibit at St. Jacobs Mennonite Church (SJMC).
View an expansive display of newly created quilts and other items donated for the Ontario Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) Relief Sale & Quilt Auction, as well as collections and special exhibits including:
4. Fibre Fashions at the Village Silos
Be sure to see Sonja Fijn’s interesting and unusual fibre fashions inside the St. Jacobs Village Silos, including a copper dress (pictured below).
5. Seminars and Deminars abound!
Register for some creative workshops and demonstrations to be held at Calvary United Church, including:
6. Trunk Show with Robin Bogaert — 'My Quilt Journey'
Experience a creative journey featuring many styles of quilting including free motion,
ruler work, thread painting, and traditional.
Wearable Art Fashion Show, ticket information: